Tuesday 9 October 2012

Sunshine

The phone rings. Once. Twice.

"Hello?"

Your voice is so soft and quiet. I woke you up. I had hoped you'd be awake already. Well, you offered.

"Good morning! How are you?"

I always make a point to be cheery on the phone with you. Not only do you make me happy, but you deserve to hear a happy voice on the other end of the line.

"Fine."

Still groggy. Understandable. You work so hard, even on the long weekend and on your day off. I'm amazed at how you're able to do what you do.

"So should I catch the bus this morning?"

A tinge of guilt creeps up. I shouldn't be interrupting your sleep. What kind of friend am I?

"No no. I'm coming."

I push the tinge back down. I don't care. I want to see you too much to let guilt stop me from taking you up on your offer.

"Okay. I will see you soon."

There is an unbelievably big smile on my face now. You're picking me up for work! It's just past 8 am and my day has already been made. My mind goes back to the days when I would pick you up in the morning and we would eat breakfast in the car before I dropped you off. Occasionally I would come grab lunch with you and even pick you up when you finished work. Now our roles are reversed. You took me to work and came and ate lunch with me.

Who else would do that for me? What other person would get up early just to drive me to work so I don't have to spend half an hour on the bus?

No one, that's who. There's not a single person I know who would do that for me aside from you. Somehow, for some reason I don't yet know, you were sent into my life when I really do not deserve you.

You are an angel among peasants, my darling, and I will always treat you as such. You may not be mine, but you will always be my princess. Come what may, good times or bad, that will never change.

No comments:

Post a Comment