Thursday 27 December 2012

Pumpkin Pie

It forms. Slowly at first, but its speed builds. The wind swirls, gaining in ferocity as its speed continues to rise. It races down to the ground, sweeping over hills and pains. It bursts past homes and buildings, whipping wildly through trees and lifting helpless leaves high into the air. It rounds the smokestack of a factory before hitting the open water. With nothing to slow it's pace, its intensity rages full, it pushes on toward the helpless couple on the water's edge.

Wind whipping around us as we walk, I stop you and reach toward your face. Fingers clothed in winter gloves, I awkwardly pull the stray hairs from your lips. Walking along the lake this cold December day, the overcast skies and dead plants can't detract from the beauty in my vision. But not a fraction of that beauty comes from the natural scenery surrounding me. It's standing in front of me, practically choking on her hair that the wild winter wind stuck to her lip gloss.

Finally, her lips from vagrant hair, we continue our stroll along the lake. My effort quickly proves useless as the unyielding wind continues it's assault and forces more hair to her lips. But despite frequent stops to correct her errant strands, we enjoy our walk, the first in far too long.

Nearly back to our car but not yet ready to leave, we find respite under a nearby gazebo. You are so beautiful. I know I shouldn't think that, but I am only human. How can I deny what is in front of me?

I step toward you and reach my arms around you. Bundled against the cold in bulky jackets and gloves, it is an awkward hug but it is a godsend. I haven't been able to just hold you in so long. The sight of your pain-filled eyes flashes in my head and I squeeze you even tighter. If you hadn't pulled away we'd probably still be standing there, holding each other in our awkward, meaningful embrace.

But this is reality. You pull away and we walk back to the car, your arm once again in mine. Then it occurs to me. You lied to me. You said you wouldn't get me a Christmas present and yet, here you are, giving me the best gift a guy could ever ask for.

Merry Christmas my Pumpkin Pie

No comments:

Post a Comment