Monday 3 December 2012

None

The darkness hides the clouds overhead. Snowflakes fall from from the darkness onto the silent street. Rows of houses line either side, lawns and roofs decorated in bright lights and colourful characters. It's a happy sight.

I'm standing in the snow, my jacket a poor shield against the cold. I stare into the house, the light streaming from the window illuminates my face.

Happiness is what I see inside. A family sitting down to Christmas dinner, each member simply happy to be together. Equal warmth radiates from fireplace and familial hearts. Even the coldest heart would warm at the sight.

But that warmth can't escape the confines of the window. No matter how hard I stare, no matter how long, I still feel nothing but winter's cold embrace.

It is a metaphor. It is my life. My life has always been, and always will be, me standing outside looking in. I will always be the one longing for happiness as I watch others find happiness in one another.

I don't need a family for warmth of heart or a fire for warmth of body. I need one person. One person who will stand outside that window with me. One person who will brave the cold to be with me. One who will hold me to share my warmth as I share hers. One who will find my frigid lips more inviting than a blazing fireplace. I just need her. I just need one.

But there exists none for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment