Monday 10 January 2011

Imagine a roller coaster that let you keep the adrenaline rush after getting off...

It's January and that means that (pretty much) everyone is back to their normal lives. No more long weekends and short weeks, no more visits with family, no more copious amounts of food. It's back to the grind of everyday life. Or in my case, everynight life. But as much as my life is back to the same old cycle, repeated until death, I think this past weekend is worth noting.

Actually, nothing spectacular happened. I didn't go out for wings and beer with my buddy like I had planned, I outrageously overslept on Saturday so I couldn't get anything done and I was so wiped Sunday evening that I went to be around 8. But despite all this, all these things I would consider to equal a bad weekend, it wasn't bad at all.

First off, I woke up two hours late Saturday afternoon and nearly missed my mom's birthday party. But my family made sure I didn't, which is kind of them since they usually let me sleep. Before the party I ran to the store to pick up snacks for the movie and while I was out my friend called on her break. What a nice surprise! We chatted a few minutes before she went back to work.

I got home and spent the night at home with my family celebrating my mom's birthday, which was more enjoyable than I had thought it would be. We ate, watched a (lame) movie and played a game before people started heading off to do their own things. All in all, a really good night. I'm not at all disappointed that I didn't get to go out.

Later that night, (more like very early Sunday morning) my friend called back. She wanted advice on a problem. I feel so blessed by this because it takes me back to when people used to trust me enough to tell me their problems and just vent to me. It makes me feel useful without the aid of a forklift. Sure, it was crazy late and I had to get up crazy early but it was completely worth it to help someone and talking to her is always a pleasure.

Sunday started off like a normal Sunday. Get to church early, prep the equipment for the service, church service, smiles and hugs. It's hard not to be happy at church. Everyone is genuinely happy to see you and the music and preaching at my church are, in my humble, biased opinion, the best anywhere.

But this Sunday was special because we had the first choir practice of the new year. Christmas vacation is great and all but I hate time off from choir. It's one of my all time favourite activities to spend time doing. We started concert prep and learned a couple new songs. Usual stuff really but it was nice to get back at it after the Christmas break.

Sunday evening was a bit of a disappointment as my friend fell asleep and missed our appointement for wings and beer but we both work nights so I totally understand the exhaustion. I too was exhausted so I went home and soon fell asleep.

But leave it to my fantastic friends to turn a lame day into a day worth remembering. My friend with whom I talked on the phone the previous night sent me a message asking me to call again. So I did! We talked for a while before going to sleep. I actually forgot what it was like to talk myself to sleep with a good friend. Nothing better, as far as I'm concerned.

Worth noting: I saw Tron: Legacy on Monday with my dad. It was pretty good in my opinion. Not as good as I had hoped but quite enjoyable.

The point I'm getting at is that despite the ups and downs in any span time, the highs and lows, if you have friends and or family who actually care about you and seem to like you despite all odds, that span of time can end on such a good note that you don't even remember the low points. So thank you to my wonderful family. Thank you to my spectacular choir mates and life longs friend therein. Thank you to my awesome friend who talks to me into the wee hours of the morning. You are all high points in my life and being with you you can only result in such.

And thank you Lord for giving them all to me. I am not deserving of a single one person caring for me and yet, here they are.

(I write way too damn much.)

No comments:

Post a Comment