Friday 14 January 2011

Audible Joy

Did you resolve to do and/or not do anything this year? I did. Well, sort of. I decided to label 2011 as my year of live shows. I want to go see as many bands as possible, preferably for as little money as possible, but I'm not outrageously picky.

I've learned that no matter how good or bad a band may sound having gone through the recording and editing stages, 99% of the time they sound infinitely better live. I think it's a mixture of the atmosphere and the "realness" that the band gives off, rather than the highly edited, "perfect" sound of the recording. Because of this, I want to experience as many bands as possible in their best state.

The one problem I've run into is that most live shows are during the spring and summer. Not in the dead of winter. The earliest "big band" I found doing a show here is May 3. Sure, I've bought my tickets already, but that's a long way off. I need something to sustain me. Waiting for this show will drive me insane if I don't get some live music before then.

Now, I could go to the bars and clubs downtown and see some of the local talent as there's live music being played every day all over the city. But there is a problem with that too. Picking a random band on a random night at a random club is a lot of random to deal with. The odds of finding a halfway decent band are pretty low. Toronto has some very good local talent but finding that talent is something of a challenge.

But with the right show buddy and the right beer in hand and assortment of food in stomach, I'm up for the challenge. Taking in a large amount of shit bands can easily be made up by one really good band.

Come on bands. Impress me.

No comments:

Post a Comment