Friday 1 June 2012

$15

You know the little stubs of paper they give you to put in your windshield when you park in a lot downtown? I have one of those stubs. It's in my wallet now. It's not good for parking anymore. It has served it's designed purpose. But it has a new purpose in my possession. It is a reminder. It is itself a memory. It is the last remnant of my last day with you.

But I wish I had something more. I wish I had a piece of that bridge. I wish I had the stone you were standing on when you kissed me. That kiss. The first of our last. That moment lasted forever and not long enough.

I wish I had a piece of that pier. You were so scared of the water meters below, but your fear seemed to melt away when I held you. It disappeared completely when I kissed you, even when I leaned you out over the railing. How could I ever forget that?

I wish I had a piece of that bench. The first sunset I ever sat and watched from downtown was right there with you. And standing in front of you sitting on that bench, holding you, kissing you... It brings such a mixture of fondness and sadness. But I will always cherish that moment.

I wish I had a piece of that boat. You were so cold and you wanted to go downstairs to get away from the water, but you stayed with me because I wanted to enjoy the air as we floated along. Rubbing your arms to warm you up may have been futile, but it was the last time I ever held you as we were then. I'll carry that to my grave.

I wish I had a piece of you. It sounds weird, maybe even sick, but I wish i could have a part of you to keep with me forever as a reminder of the time of my life.

But I do have a piece of you, don't I? You left an imprint on my heart, my Pumpkin. You left your mark on me. Yes, it created a deep scar that will take something major to heal, but it's you, and I wouldn't give it up for the world. Not the entire fucking world.

No comments:

Post a Comment