Wednesday 10 August 2011

Clouds (Lightning Pt. 2)

Morning arrives and I get in my car and head home. It's been a long night. The sun is on its way up the sky, not too many clouds to block its light. I turn a corner and that's when I see it. A huge cloud formation, looming above the world.

I gape in amazement, barely keeping my car on the road. I pull off to the side and hit the four-ways. This is too incredible to ignore. I've always loved clouds, well, anything to do with the sky, really, and they still take my breath away. What a wonder.

They look like cumulus mediocris clouds if I'm not mistaken. Giant, puffy mountains floating above me, looking down at humanity. If I were them, I would be laughing at everyone else. They float across the sky, not a care in the world, save the choice of sending rain down to feed the earth.

But they do not laugh. They show no contempt for those stapled to the ground. Those who merely imitate their flight with roaring, metal machines, streaking through the sky, moving too fast to feel. They show no disdain of those who stare up at them, calling out the shapes the wind carves them into. They show nothing but their beauty, their simple radiance. They are something so simple, yet so complex. All made the same way, yet with countless variations. Simple elegance, masterful artwork.

I come back down to earth, signal and merge back onto the route home. An old longing has been stirred awake within me. The longing to soar above the clouds, to soar with the clouds. Free of machinery, free of man's aid. I long to coast the skies, nothing but me and the puffy, white mountains in the sky. While some longings may never be satisfied, I do not fret. Staring at God's signature in the sky, I am filled with more than a longing. I am filled with peace, with a pure, simple happiness nothing else on this earth can replicate. If God takes such care to create these clouds, what care does He take with me?

I am in God's hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment