Monday 28 February 2011

Lazy Mondays

It was just a lazy Monday afternoon. The blue sky outside gave the illusion of warmth, though I knew the truth. Without the blanket of clouds, there was nothing to protect from the harsh cold of February. Time withered away as I spent my last waking moments reading, unable to put my book down. I need to be going to bed soon. Like the stalker you are, you spied on me, sprawled on the couch under my blanket, keeping warm from the winter's cold.

You've always been so fickle. When I want you with me, you ignore me. When I'm well enough alone, you're all over me. Very rarely do we come together looking for the same thing, but we have our moments.

Silently, you come. My back is to the wall so you can't sneak up on me, but with my head in my book and your utter silence, I take no notice of you entering the room. Closer and closer, you creep, not a creak or a moan from the house do you stir. The slightest tug on my blanket draws my gaze from my book. I peer over my knees into your eyes staring up at me. I can't help but smile. You're so cute when you do that.

I know exactly what you want. Naps are great but always better when someone's there to keep you warm. You lay on my chest and I can feel your heartbeat. Your eyes get heavy as weariness gets the better of you and sleep descends, your purring a welcome sound in the silence of a lazy Monday afternoon.

I go back to my book, happy just to simply be. Many people don't understand the bond between pets and their owners, but it's there and it's real. You're my baby. My Gadget.

No comments:

Post a Comment