Tuesday 21 June 2011

Just You

Another too-late night before another early morning. Barely dragging myself out of bed, I got ready in silence. Sometimes I get lost in the grind, lost in the sheer repetitiveness. I swith to automatic, just moving through the motions, none of it really making any impact on awareness. Out the door, onto the sidewalk, stop at the light. All of it sliding off deep thought.

Are you going to be here today? Will I get to see you? Talk to you? That's all I want, isn't it?

I walk forward as the light turns green. The bright sunlight of morning flashes in my eyes as I walk beneath the shadow of a tree. It makes me blink, and I'm back to reality. I realise the song playing in my headphones is terrible and I skip to the next.

How did I ever like that song?

Finally, I arrive at my destination. Right away I get to work, setting up before everyone arrives. I left later than I wanted to so people start showing up before I'm finished. I say a few hellos and share a few smiles but none of these people are who I'm looking for. It's always you. No matter the state of our friendship at the time, I'm always waiting to see you.

And that's when you walk in. No beam of sunlight on you or angelic choir announcing your entrance as there seem to be in my memories of you. Just you. You couldn't be more beautiful.

Your black hair matches your dark skin perfectly, falling to either side of your face and down your back, just below your shoulders. Even as you greet people with your warm smile, your sharp, brown eyes remain as striking as ever. You're wearing a black tank top underneath a low-cut, white lace top and black dress pants that flare out at the foot. I manage to drag my eyes up but too late. You pass me before I have a chance to say hello. Disappointment and sadness scratch at my heart.

Sigh... You can say hi later. You have work to do.

I finish setting up as practice gets underway. Everything goes smoothly and soon practice is over. Maybe we can hang out for the little bit of time we have to kill. I know it's futile to even ask, you always say no, but as always I can't turn down the opportunity to try.

As I approach, I can't help but take you in. Every single thing about you is beautiful. You look up and smile when you see me. You always manage to seem happy to see me, even when I'm sure you're not. A lump forms in my throat as your eyes meet mine.

This is stupid. She's going to say no. She always says no. Just say hi and walk away. She'll be happy and you won't be disappointed.

Of course, I ignore the voice in my head and I propose we go for breakfast. Your reply takes me off guard and I walk out next to you half dazed in a mix of surprise and elation.

As the day goes on, I find myself next to you more than I thought possible. I can't even get over how beautiful you are. Your eyes are so sharp, your face stunning, your breasts full, your figure shows the work you've put into it. But even the pleasure of looking at you pales next to the joy of talking to you, of just being with you.

I find myself praying that this day will never end.

No comments:

Post a Comment