Monday 11 April 2011

"Just a Dream"?

Eyes heavy and muscles waning, I dragged myself into bed. Surrounded by darkness, sleep's warm embrace came easy. But it did not hold.

Back and forth I tossed in the night, deep slumber never taking hold. Frustration mingled with weariness, resulting in desperation. Desperation for sleep. For an escape. But then, amid the turmoil of sleeplessness, somewhere in between waking moments, I dreamed.

Of you.

Though it was only for a moment, I wouldn't trade that moment for the world. You were so beautiful, so stunning. Almost as beautiful as you were when I saw you Saturday morning. Somehow, in jeans and a hoodie, you stand out like a diamond amidst coal.

You know what you did in my dream? You did what I cannot. You did what I have been trying to do for so long but have found myself unable to. You did the one thing I find myself trying to do each and every day. You simply asked a question. And I answered. Such a taste of happiness I may not know.

I awoke.

My first thought was of you. Happiness filled me and reached for my phone. I had to tell someone about this. Reality hit like a brick wall.

It was just a dream.

It wasn't real. It never happened. You never asked your question and I'm still the coward who will likely never ask you.

Closing eyes now filled with tears, I turned over, trying to forget. Maybe my next dream would turn out to be real.

Damn, you're beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment